[Prev][Next][Index]

Re: Malaysian trumpet snails

In issue #130, Miles Morrissey wrote:

>From: MMMORRIS at smith_smith.edu
>Date: Fri, 16 Jun 1995 22:29:53 -0500 (EST)
>Subject: Re: Aquatic Plants Digest V1 #129

>substrate and eat detrius:  Any one know where to find these little guys?
>Here in Western Mass no one seems to have heard of them much less stock
>them.

They reproduce so prolifically that stocking them would almost be a joke.
Apparently they are hermaphroditic, so you don't even need a pair to get
started. The problem is the source, and keeping other snails from killing
them.

My first batch were from a friend (thanks Hardjono), but they may all be
gone, because I never bothered to control the red ramshorns in the same
tanks. I recently bought a small school of neons from Bangkok Aquarium, in
San Jose, and they gladly threw in five snails, for their tanks get so
overrun by them that the gravel surface is often almost 100% trumpet-snail
shells.

My originals may still be around, for they are photophobic, and only come
out at night. I haven't checked on them after lights out.

If you can't find a friend to supply them, keep an eye out for their shells
whenever you visit good fish shops. They are about 3/4 inch long, and shaped
like a skinny cornucopia.  Local aquarium societies are another good bet.

Good luck,

Wright