[Prev][Next][Index]

Re: Flying Fox

> From: KB Koh <KB_Koh at ccm_ipn.intel.com>
> Subject: Need info on some Tetra's products
>
> OK, one more question. What do I feed Flying Fox? It is not
> eating algae but went for some of my very delicate plants.

You mean probably the real Flying Fox, Epalzeorhynchus kalopterus. It
is not a real algae eating fish like its famous cousin, Siamese Algae
Eater. As it seems to eat plants, give it at least green flakes and
vegetables (cucumber, zucchini, peas, spinach). It should eat practically
anything like flakes and all kinds of live foods. If it keeps eating
your plants, try to add soft floating plants (like Duckweed, Lemna minor
or Frogbit, Limnobium sp.) to your tank and it might prefer eating them
instead of more valuable plants. Works with my horde of algae eaters.

Any Europeans here? Does anybody know where to find a real Flying Fox
from here? I'd like to add one of those aggressive bastards to my
collection of Garrinae fishes but haven't seen them in Finland for
3-4 years.

Liisa Sarakontu                     INTERNET:    lsarakon at hila_hut.fi
Helsinki University of Technology   WWW homepage http://www.hut.fi/~lsarakon/