[Prev][Next][Index]

Re: Aquatic Plants Digest V1 #94

Adam Aronson wanted some advice about controlling brush/beard algae.
The Siamese Algae Eater, Crossocheilus siamensis, will eat it.

Of course, the best approach is to avoid introducing it into the aquarium
in the first place.:-)

Here is some information about the availability of the SAE taken from Liisa's
and my article published in the Mar-April issue of The Aquatic Gardener:

The Siamese Algae Eater, Crossocheilus siamensis is quite common in
Europe.  In fact, it is one of the top ten fish sold in Finland.  Although
it became known to the American hobbyist in the 1980's through the
translation of European literature, most notably The Optimum Aquarium, the
fish has been virtually absent from the American aquarium scene. This
might be attributed to several factors. First, some English language books
did not publish the correct picture of the true SAE.  These include the
English edition of the Baensch Atlas, Volume I (same as the first German
edition of this Volume) and the early editions of the "Axelrod Atlas."  In
these books, the illustrated fish is the "false siamensis," Garra taeniata
or another Epalzeorhynchus species.  Secondly, the true SAE is thought to
be less colorful than several of its relatives.  In fact, in some
countries of Asia (e.g. Taiwan), this fish is known as "one like flying
fox;"  the fish we call false siamensis is known as "colorful flying fox."

Now, we know about at least 2 suppliers of this fish in the U.S. --
The Albany Aquarium, an aquarium store in Albany, CA, imports them
directly from Southeast Asia.  They were willing to ship Overnight Federal
Express directly to hobbyists.

Contact:
  Glenn Zappulla
  Albany Aquarium
  818 San Pablo Ave.
  Albany, CA 94706
  (510) 525-1166

Southern Tropical Fish, a tropical fish wholesaler in Lakeland, Florida
is currently importing them from Bangkok.  The fish first showed up on
the wholesale listing as small flying fox.  After we discussed the
differences among the related species with this firm, the identity crisis
is no longer a problem.  The true SAE are now regularly appearing in
North Carolina and elsewhere in the Eastern U.S.  Ask your local aquarium
store to contact Southern Tropicals to see if they can acquire this red
algae eating fish for your area.

--Neil