[Prev][Next][Index]

Re: CO2 input into powerhead

>From: stevensj at calshp_cals.wisc.edu
>Date: Tue, 23 May 1995 11:13:54 -0500
>Subject: CO2 input into powerhead
>
>Hi everyone,
>
>This morning I decided to add an extra yeast + sugar CO2 bottle to my 125 gal
>tank (I had three 1 litre bottles going but only had 7 ppm CO2).  I decided
>to use a bigger bottle (2 litre) as suggested by someone on this list, and
>to put the airline tubing from the bottle into the air input hole on my
>penguin 550 powerhead (I don't normally have air going in to this).
>Anyway ... after about 10 or 15 minutes I noticed small amounts of fine
>bubbles coming out my powerhead & after about 30 mins the yeast + sugar
>mixture was foaming quite a lot - this normally takes about 2 hours to
>happen.  It is not a particularly warm day in Madison WI today (actually
>quite cool & raining) so I can only assume that the "sucking" action of
>the powerhead is causing the reaction to go faster.  Is this good?  It's
>been running for over an hour yet & neither pH or CO2 concentration in
>the tank have changed.

I did the same thing and I noticed that the CO2 concentration in the
water did increase a little bit. However, the output of the powerhead was
still too close to the surface so I hooked up a flexible tube (the one that
is used for hooking up canister filter) to divert the output the powerhead
close to the substrate. This method increased the CO2 concentration even
more since the CO2 stays in contact longer with the water before bubbles
up to the surface. I like this method better than putting inverted bowl
since I don't have to worry about Nitrogen build up.

Hardjono