[Prev][Next][Index]

Several Questions

I've been following this list for a few weeks now and I am very impressed by the level of knowledge found on this list.  I'm glad I found you!  Now, I have a few questions:

CO2 DIY systems:
When people talk about setting up a cylinder they always say you need a pressure regulator and a needle valve.  I know that the needle valve is used to regulate flow, but what is the purpose of the pressure regulator (assuming the needle valve can handle the pressure of CO2 gas)?  I know that it would stablize the output of the needle valve, but is it really needed?  I would think that in a relatively stable environment this would not be a problem.  For example, it might get colder in your home at night, but the drop in flow would be small (and probably a good idea).  If the valve failed, I assume the tubing used would pop off.  Is my thinking flawed somehow?

CO2 quantity:
What level is safe for fish in fresh water?  What is the minimum I should shoot for for healthy plant growth?

Fe quantity:
What level is safe for fish in fresh water?  What is the minimum I should shoot for for healthy plant growth?

Additives:
Assume I'm setting up a new 100 gal tank 60"L x 16"W.  How much Laterite? I see it listed by the pound. Two pounds?
What about fertilizers/trace elements, etc.  Favorite brands anyone?

Test Kits:
Which test kits/tests can anyone recommend from which manufacturer?

That's my list of questions for now.  TIA.  I've already learned a bunch from this list.  Thanks.