From: CrypDude at aol_com
Date: Sun, 21 May 1995 14:23:31 -0400
To: Aquatic-Plants at actwin_com
Subject: Highly Efficient CO2 reactors.

I'm hoping some of you more technically experienced aquatic horticulturists
can help point me in the right direction for purchasing/building a very
efficient CO2 reactor.

I have a 5 lb. canister and regulator which I got at a welding supply
place--which I pump into the air input of my powerhead and blow into an
inverted plastic cup (in an attempt to increase the exposure time and
increase CO2 dissolved).

This has worked well enough to reduce pH from 7.2 to 6.0.  Unfortunately, I'm
using gazillions of mg of CO2 in order to do so and last weekend (only 4 mo.
after setting up the system) my CO2 ran out while I was on vacation.  The
fish were all floating and my pH was 7.8+.

Anyway, before I restock the tank I want to buy/create a highly efficient
reactor system and none of the FAQs or posts so far have given me a clear
indication of what the best thing is to do.

I was using about a bubble a minute to get the results I described above in a
40 gallon tank with considerably high dH (190ppm+).  I am planning to call
That Fish Place this week to find out about special ordering a CO2 reactor,
since they do not sell any by themselves.

Any suggestions/recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

The phenomenal thing about this whole disaster is that NONE of my
cryptocorynes melted.  I have three c. wendtii that are 9" tall with 40
leaves each and not one leaf is yet showing any effects 7 days later...nor
are my wendtii dewitt, becketti, ciliata, etc.

Any thoughts on this?  They used to melt on a dime before.

Anyway, I'm willing to spend $60-$70 tops on a system to maximize my CO2
usage to prevent waste and increase the amount of time between refills. I
even bought a second 5 lb. canister as a backup, so I don't have the down
time when the first one runs out next time.

A technical explanation of how commercial reactors work would be
appreciated--I believe some element of pressurization is what my little DIY
reactor lacks.

Thanks in advance.

Dave. (a.k.a. Fish Dude)