[Prev][Next][Index]

Re: Aquatic Plants Digest V1 #76

<<From: Ghazanfar Khan Ghori <ghori at Glue_umd.edu>
Date: Wed, 17 May 1995 23:13:04 -0400 (EDT)
Subject: Controling DIY CO2 Generators

 I dont know if anybody has experianced this b4 [...] I also discovered that
 the more heat I direct towards the bottle the more CO2 it produced. [...] I
wonder if I can place a small heater
 inside a thermos containing the yeats/sugar mixture and control
 the amonut of CO2 produced...whaddya think?
 Mebbe I shold patent this! ;)>>

You can also put the CO2 generator in a bucket of water that has a heater in
it (less messy for the heater) or you can use no heater & a different yeast
(bottom-fermenting lager yeast goes along at a lovely clip in our 65 degree
house, lasts 3+weeks).

Problems with running a heated CO2 generator: first, your CO2 brew will tend
to spend itself right quick -  this may increase the likelihood of pH swings
'cos of not noticing that it has already killed itself; second, in the event
that your heater quits (power goes out, whatever) the cooling CO2 generator
will start sucking water & IF something in the chain fails (every check-valve
I've ever tried in a CO2 line gets fried), you could end up with your
fishtank dry & your carpet wet (unless you can put your rig above your tank).
 Not to torpedo your idea (which surely could be great in the right
circumstances) - but to share experience!

AHS