[Prev][Next][Index]

re:Re:Growing conditions for plants and algae

>From: Michael Irlbeck <u7211aa at sunmail_lrz-muenchen.de>
>Date: Mon, 15 May 1995 14:12:52 +0200 (MET DST)
>Subject: Re:Growing conditions for plants and algae
>
>The algae problem continues. It's not really severe, but enough to keep me
>alert. To objectify: I have to remove the green algae coat from the front
>and side glass screens every other day to maintain a pleasant 'look'.

Michael, do you have enough plants?  Normally, at least 3/4 of the
substrate should be planted.  Also, do you have fast-growing plants?
It helps to have a lot of these when you first set the tank up.
Another thing you can try is to introduce floating plants -
Ceratopteris, Salvinia, Limnobium, etc. to compete with the algae and
cut the lighting down temporarily.  As someone else mentioned, it
could be worthwhile to test for Nitrogen.

>So what I'll do next is try to lower the pH a little. The reason why I
>initially aimed for 7.3 and only about 15 mg/l of CO/2 was some concern
>about how long the 1500g CO2 bottle would last. In this big tank (open)
>it's really bubbling away! The rate in the bubble counter is just about
>too fast to count and the valve is open at least three fourths of the time.

A 5 pound (2.25 Kg) cylinder lasts me about six months in a 70G tank,
and I only use 1-2 bubbles a second.  So yes, you could have a problem
with running out of CO2 quickly.  Is it not possible for you to get a
larger tank?  Your CO2 consumption is high because you have a high KH.
Bringing it down might help, but it's probably going to cost you some
serious money.  Another thing you can do is cover the tank to prevent
CO2 loss.  Are you sure you that all the CO2 you inject is being
dissolved?

-Shaji