[Prev][Next][Index]

re:Iron and algae

>From: u7211aa at sunmail_lrz-muenchen.de
>Date: Sun, 14 May 95 00:13:33 +0000
>Subject: Re: Aquatic Plants Digest V1 #67
>
>My phosphate levels were zero today and the iron was low. Do you
>think that adding more iron and trace elements will help the plants
>and 'hurt' the algae?

It should help the plants.  I can't predict whether it will reduce
your algae problem.  Actually, keeping the water deliberately
deficient in one or more nutrients is a possible way of reducing
algae.  The nutrients that are deficient in the water are then
supplied to plants in the substrate - where they are not available to
algae.  This is apparently not the Dupla strategy - they depend
largely on adding fertilizer to the water, and bringing it into the
substrate using heating cables.

-Shaji