[Prev][Next][Index]

Krib/FAQ/newsgroup

First, Krib news.  Some selected articles from the first month of this list
are now merged in with the rest of the plant stuff there (mostly
species-specific info).  New illustrated "article" by Hardjono Harjadi,
and yet more photos of George Booth's tank (this time from Photo-CD) in
the "Plant People" section.  I have a bunch more images from my latest
Photo-CD which will be added slowly to the site where appropriate.  For
one thing, I'm going to start adding more species photos of plants and fish.
The URL is http://www.cco.caltech.edu/~aquaria/Krib/

Second, in about a week the *.aquaria FAQ goes into "beta test" & we'll be
looking for some people to read & comment.  If you would be interested,
drop me a line.  If you'd like to look at the plant section (which I
finished a long time ago), you can fetch the text version as
http://marge.phys.washington.edu/~erik/plants.txt right now (it's big,
about 100K).  One thing I'm looking for by way of feedback is how much of
that should be posted each month.

Third, regarding the newsgroup, I would certainly vote for the newsgroup,
but I would like to see the list remain.  I agree with whoever wrote that
the experts would probably stay on the list.

> From: Stephen.Pushak at hcsd_hac.com (Stephen Pushak)
> Subject: Aquarium lawn plants

[E. tenellus]
> How big does this plant get? Will it propagate quickly and densely enough?
> The book indicates it might and it has a height of only 30-40mm.

The chain swords really do propagate fast, like Valisneria.  They'll send
runners that covertly snake across your entire tank in a month.
Definitely NOT anything like C. wendtii.  Like most plants, I've found
they do better if I just leave them alone... and that's hard when you're
trying to constrain them to one area.

> IF ANYONE out there in Canada has either Echinodorus tenellus or Lilaeopsis
> and can spare a bit or wants to trade for some of my plants, please let me know.

Seattle, Washington.  Almost Canada. :)  Got plenty here.

> From: "shaji (s.) bhaskar" <bhaskar at bnr_ca>
>
> I agree with Dustin that a moderated newsgroup will be difficult to
> set up.  A moderator must have time to spare, a reliable network
> connection, and thick skin.  The moderator should also be perceived as
> fair and level-headed, and preferably have some name recognition among
> the plant people on the net.  This is a tough set of requirements.

If not a downright oxymoron!  I'd say, stick with the mailing list for
the more relaxed club atmosphere, and unmoderated newsgroup for large arena
audiences. :)

  - Erik

---
Erik D. Olson