[Prev][Next][Index]

Re: Algae (?) on Japanese Rush

>From: KB Koh <KB_Koh at ccm_ipn.intel.com>
>Date: Thu, 27 Apr 95 17:30:03 PST
>Subject: Algae (?) on Japanese Rush
>
>Hi,
>
>Two of my Japanese Rush has some sort of growth (like fungus on stale
>bread) on 1-2 leaves . I can't seem to identify it to any algae from the
>Plant FAQ. The colour is clear/white and shape like below. It is about
>2mm high and grow on dying yellowish leaves. My Black Molly don't even
>eat it. Anybody guess what it is?

If it's white/translucent, it is probably a fungus, as you suspect.

You may not be doing anything wrong, though.  Japanese Rush (Acorus)
is a marginal plant for aquaria.  It is a land plant and most people
don't have much luck with it in a planted tank.  It hangs in there for
a while, does not grow much, gets covered in algae, and dies.

However, a couple of people have said on the net that they were able
to get Acorus to grow.

-Shaji