[Prev][Next][Index]

Re: Aquatic Plants Digest V1 #28

>From: Jeff Stuart <jastuart at mailbox_syr.edu>
>Date: Fri, 21 Apr 1995 11:16:50 -0400 (EDT)
>Subject: A few questions...

>Lastly, I've got an Aponogeton ulvaceous that just finished blooming, and
>seems to be declining -- perhaps going into dormancy.  The leaves are
>turning a bit brown and looking more ragged, and new growth has slowed.
>I recently attended a lecture on growing aquatic plants, and it was
>suggested that Aponogetons be put in a plastic bag with a little water in
>the vegie crisper for 6-8 weeks to force dormancy, and then re-planted.
>The bulb is nice and firm, and there are a lot of nice white roots.  Has
>anyone tried this?

I got this same advice from the people at Bay Area Aquatic
Plants...After my A. ulvaceus bloomed several times I put it to
bed in damp sand, in a closed jar, in the fridge, for about 3
months.  Next time I looked at it, it had decomposed.  Don't know
why this happened, so I'd like to hear more on this thread.

Bob Hoesch
HoeschB at fws_gov