[Prev][Next][Index]

Diatom filters and algae

> From: "shaji (s.) bhaskar" <bhaskar at bnr_ca>
> > From: Matthew William Mengerink <mengerin at cs_utexas.edu>
> > Date: Thu, 6 Apr 1995 16:33:20 -0500
> > Subject: [Hardware] RO vs. DI & what about diatom?
> >
> > 	Further, do plant people here use the diatom filters and if so,
> > how and why do they like them?  If not, why not?
> I used my Magnum 220 as a diatom filter for a while.  Diatom filtration
> has its advantages - the biggest being  that the file-leaved plants
> like Limnophila (Ambulia) don't get their leaves smothered in detritus.
I have used a diatom filter to remove an explosion of floating green
algae (so thick you couldn't see much of anything). After 24 hrs the tank
was sparkling clean. Unfortunately, the green algae seems to inhibit other
forms of algae which are more difficult to deal with and now I have much
green and brown fur algae. Well at least the fish like to eat it and there
is little chance of starvation even for long periods if you're not there
to feed. Algae also helps fry as there is a continuous supply of food!
They seem to grow much faster with this.

Continuous diatom filtration might not be advisable since it would remove
too much microscopic food for the fish. I wonder if it might be useful
for controlling other non-floating algaes which spread through water or
infest a tank via air-borne spores? Does everyone keep fish in their plant
aquariums?