[Prev][Next][Index]

Re: Crypt Rot

Erik,

I spoke with Mike Tronkowski of Delaware Aquatic Imports not too long ago
about crypt rot.  He explained it as a natural adaptation the plants use
in their ever changing environment.  As the seasons change, and
conditions change, the plant will "rot" or shed all its leaves.  The
plant then grows back a new set of leaves in the new environment.  There
are many things that can cause this change in our aquaria including:

Temperature changes/swings
Over Fertilization
Change in lighting
Change in water composition (pH, hardness, etc).
..and others

It sounds like your conditions have remained fairly consistant.  How are
your flourescent lights?  Are they getting old?  Perhaps the
quality/quantity of light has been changing due to old bulbs.  Hopefully,
your wendtii/lutea will come back.  Whenever I've melted crypts, leaving
the rootstock alone and a little praying has always brought the plant
back ok  :)

I'd be interested to know how your C. pontederifolia is doing.  I have 4
specimens in my 75 gallon tank and have had little luck with this plant.
I've got several other crypts growing well in this tank (wendtii,
becketii, usertiana, some others) but something seems to be lacking for
the pontederifolia.

Peter

Peter Konshak
pkonshak at fiat_gslis.utexas.edu