[APD] cape fear spatterdock

I have finally found a cape fear spatterdock  that has a lot of healthy
leaves (7) and a nice long rhizome.  Like all the ones I have found before,
the end of the rhizome is a little soft, but there is enough there that I
could trim it  and still have a lot left.  How do I best ensure that it
will not rot any more?  Is there something I could treat it with?  Should I
leave the rhizome in the water instead of planted?  Would it do best if
some soil is in the substrate?  At present it is floating but I placed a
lead ribbon lightly around the bottom of the rhizome so it is floating in
an upright position so the leaves will be the proper orientation.  Any and
all advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Carol   < '  ))))><