Re: [APD] dropchecker setup

Hey Steve.

Those new AP kits look nice.  I'm actually using this from AP:
http://www.americanaquariumproducts.com/images/graphics/phlowhighrange2.jpg

As you can see, those old charts go to 7.6 but I just cut it off at
7.0 for our purposes.  I used AP's stock image to try to avoid any
effect a camera would have.  I am guessing the real problem is white
balance and the resolution of the stock image.

>Another thought: overcome the issue of how your eye sees green by comparing
>the dropchecker with actual known bromo blue solutions... make 5ml vials
>with stable pH ref. solns. + bromo. blue... e.g.  6.0, 6.4, 6.6 and 6.8
>!?
>http://delloyd.50megs.com/moreinfo/buffers2.html#buffer

This is a simple and awesome idea I have not seen before.  I'm
interested in where you go here if you play with the idea.  Much
cheaper than pH probes.

(pH probes hooked up to devices are undeniably cool, of course.)

>Before adjusting my pH, my dropchecker indicated 3-8 ppm co2 (pH 7.2-7.6
>dKH 4.4) whereas my tank had pH 6.85, dKH 8.0 indicating 33 ppm co2.

>After adjusting pH as per my dropchecker, I have a nice green dropchecker
>solution where pH 6.6 and dKH 4.4 indicates 33 ppm co2; whereas my water is
>pH 6.15 dKH 8.0 indicating 164 ppm co2.  [Wow!]
>
>"Log entries" follow.
>
>Is this typical, I wonder??

I do think it's pretty typical, and I think similar experiences are
why dropcheckers became so popular.  Cool data!