Re: [APD] new CO2 system-needle valves

> One day, i came downstairs  and found almost alll my fish
> DEAD and the gas going full bore.<

Could this be the problem of not setting regulator correctly after refilling
a CO2 cylinder?

After a refill, my bubble rate got rather erratic.  I set it to the rate I
wanted to use in the morning, then I found the bubbling stopped in a few
hours.  I made an adjustment and it was bubbling like crazy in a few hours.

I took my CO2 equipment (regulator, needle valve, solenoid and all) to the
weld shop where I get my cylinder refilled to have my setup checked.  They
checked my equipment and showed me that it operated correctly.  When I told
them about the erratic nature of the CO2 flow rate, they asked me whether I
closed the regulator and opened up my needle valve all the way before I
opened the main valve on my cylinder.  I admitted that I did not know about
that procedure.  I don't know exactly why this problem occurs, but as long
as I follow the procedure, I don't have a problem.  When I forget, it
happens again.

I don't have an explanation as to how the regulator works, but the
backpressure on the regulator seems to make the regulator valve (internal
spring and plunger) to not seat right and act up.   If anyone knows, please
explain it for me.