Re: [APD] Neglected tank

I stocked the tank (20H) last week with 5 Rosy Barbs, 2 males and 3
females, and they seem happy.  Their colors have brightened up
considerably from at the LFS, and whatever kind of nasty algae I have,
they've been tearing it off the leaves much faster than it's growing
back; they eat about half of it and the other half ends up in the
filter.  All the plants are growing new leaves.  I did a 10% water
change today mostly to get rid of debris on the bottom.  Looks like I
might be back in business.  :-) I'll add a few grains of potassium
chloride to the filter canister today, and see if I can find some
potassium nitrate.

The algae starts out looking like BBA, then builds up thicker and
thicker into a gray-brown slime and the filaments go away.  There's also
little patches of brilliant green algae on the sand substrate; that's
probably cyanobacteria.  I wonder if the algae on the plants is a
*mixture* of BBA and cyanobacteria, and maybe I need to zap the cyano
with a antibiotic like erythromycin?  I do not want to do anything
drastic since it's all improving on its own.

Merry Christmas,
-Bob