On 12/5/2011 9:49 AM, Karen Randall wrote:
The fish in these habitats have absolutely no problem adjusting to these changes.

I've never seen someone propose a plausible mechanism explaining why a fluctuating pH would bother a fish to any significant degree (barring the obvious problems with extreme acidity or caustic pH values). So what if the pH goes from 8 to 6.5 as long as the osmotic pressure on the fish's cells remains relatively constant (i.e., GH & KH remain stable). I suspect, as many on this list have pointed out, that hobbyists early on noted a strong correlation between pH changes and fish health issues, but didn't think of the two having a common cause rather than assuming a cause and effect relationship.