Re: [APD] Reviving a neglected tank

Date: Sun, 27 Nov 2011 15:08:02 +0000
From: Stuart Halliday <stuart at mytriops_com>

 On 26/11/2011 21:14, Bob Baron wrote:
> Surprisingly, I haven't had an attack of green water yet (the city
> injects phosphate into the water supply.)

 That's because it needs nitrogen to grow not phosphate. :)

I added a little urea to the tank (didn't have any ammonium hydroxide that I was absolutely sure is soap-free) and the dead algae greened-up a bit almost overnight. Some of it is even turning blue. Doesn't seem to be trying to take over yet, so I'll keep battling with it for a while with just plants in the tank, with frequent vacuuming and filter changes and small water changes, before I add any fish.

-Bob