Re: [APD] sand

On 9/18/2011 1:43 PM, Stuart Halliday wrote:
I guess I forgot that. I always associate sand as coming from the beach.
It doesn't of course.

The beaches of Southern California are primarily silica sand, which is delivered by humans in dump trucks. Prior to the damming of the Los Angeles, San Gabriel, and Santa Ana rivers, the sand was delivered by nature. Now the sediment builds up behind the dams and the County levels acres of old-growth oak forests to build sediment piles while the beaches 20 miles away spend millions importing sand. Human ingenuity knows no bounds.