[APD] Poret foam conversions

The Poret foam conversion replaces the internals on a Magnum 350 canister filter or other type to make maintenance easier while providing good filtration.

From Don Linder on the Anubiasdesign mailing list:

      I've heard that Vaseline and other petroleum-based substances
will accelerate the breakdown of rubber gaskets and O-rings, so you
really want to use something silicone-based instead.  I use the Lifegard
 stuff on my Magnum 350 quick-disconnects, but the big O-ring at the top
 of the canister has never needed any lubrication on either of my two
Magnums.

Here's a link:
http://www.fosterandsmithaquatics.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=9708

Speaking of Magnum 350s, I absolutely love mine now that they've been modified to run on Poret
 foam.  They run virtually forever with no flow reduction- I have one
that's in a corner behind a rack of 5.5 gallon tanks, and I have to
drain and move a tank to even reach it.  It's been running for something
 upwards of 8 months with no maintenance and it's still moving at least
as much water as a squeaky-clean one running the standard carbon and
blue floss sleeve setup.

I posted lots of pics and info on how to make your own here:
http://www.thewatersnake.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=1798

I also convert all models of Whisper filters to run on Poret,
 and I'll be posting info on how to do those as soon as I figure out how
 to upload foam-cutting templates that will always print out at the
right size.  Right now, I only have the Whisper 10i plans online:

http://www.thewatersnake.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=1994

-Don

Nick A

"You know what I wish?  I wish all the scum of the earth had but a single throat, and I had my hands about it."  Rorschach, 1975

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

"Suburbia is where the developer bulldozes out the trees, then names the streets after them." Bill Vaughan

"The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato