Re: [APD] CO2 and Algae

Hi everyone.
Physiologically and chemically, there are some points.

In cases of submerged, vascular plant, their nutrient
source, especially phosphorus, is mainly from their roots.
Vascular plant absorb nitrogen from their leaves, too; but
phosphorus is the most important nutrient for vascular
plant.

In contrast, algae, such as phytoplankton, can absorb
nutrients only from water. Therefore, to preclude the
phytoplankton growth, it is effective to decrease nutrient
levels in water, especially phosphorus.

In cases of bubbling CO2 in water, one possible mechanism
to reduce phosphorus in water is the adsorption onto the
sediment. If higher free CO2 in water, pH value becomes
lower (neutral). This pH level can reduce phosphorus from
water by adsorbing onto the sediment particles. So, there
is little direct effect on phytoplankton by bubbling CO2.

In addition, higher free CO2 in water can increase
macrophytes growth because of the high carbon assimilation
rate.