> Message: 5
> Date: Fri, 5 Feb 2010 18:31:42 -0500
> From: "B. T. Forsythe" <megasycophant at gmail_com>
> Subject: Re: [APD] lying and ignorance in store employees
> To: aquatic plants digest <aquatic-plants at actwin_com>
>
> I've been an APD subscriber for a very long time. In what I personally
> consider its heyday, I had the pleasure of experiencing discussions on a
> range of topics in nigh excruciating detail that one wouldn't expect to see
> outside of technical or academic journals, a range covering planted aquaria
> from top to bottom: lighting spectra and bulb lifespans (back in the T10
> days even), macro/micronutrient water column additive formulations (PMDD
> anyone?), active/inert/heated substrate pros and cons. This is only a
> smattering. I'm not jumping to any conclusions, but I hope that "Organic
> means it was fertilized at night" isn't representative of the APD
> readership. You aren't just what you eat. You're whatever it eats, and so
> on. Micronutrients are as important in our food supply as they are for our
> Cryptocorynes. There are many persuasive, valid arguments in support of
> organic food, but this one alone is enough to make the case. What is what
> you're eating eating? Is it grown in dead earth saturated in NPK and little
> else to attain rapid growth?
>
> Of course, if this is some sort of reference to whether food is *certified*
> organic, that's another discussion altogether.
>
> Regards,
> Brian
>
> On Fri, Feb 5, 2010 at 12:23 PM, Nick Andrews
> <nicothefabulous at hotmail_com>wrote:
>

> > Organic means it was fertilized at night.

Okay, you caught me making fun of all the knee-jerk pseudo-hippie yuppie wannabes who latch onto every fad which comes along.  Like those who agonize that a few fluorescent bulbs will poison the aquifer, or think all asbestos will kill you immediately, not knowing they drink water from asbestos-cement pipes every day.  Or who think a little radiation will deform their children when they live near, inside or have huge slabs of granite in their home.

Yes, natural eggs taste better and are better for you.  Grass-fed beef is better than grain-fed also, but a little time in a feed lot does add some very nice marbling right before butchering.  There is a land developer here in town who bought a pecan orchard.  One year he got lazy and didn't bother to fertilize the trees.  He still got pecans, but they were smaller and fewer in number.  He sold them in smaller packages as 'organic' for eight times the price of 'regular' pecans!

Nick A

"You know what I wish?  I wish all the scum of the earth had but a single throat, and I had my hands about it."  Rorschach, 1975

temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."- Benjamin
Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

"Suburbia is where the developer bulldozes out the trees, then names the streets after them." Bill Vaughan

"The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato