Re: [APD] The non-aquatic plant issue (Nick Andrews)

I believe Bill wrote this email section below:
Doesn't anybody want to blame the people who buy that stuff without knowing what it is and what it needs to survive? They are the ones who are making the market, not Walmart or Pet-whatever.

True, most people buy Goldfish and if they knew how difficult they are to grow to their natural size and lifespan, there would be a lot less sold.

The majority of the general public don't give a toss about fish or plant health. They assume they're not buying rubbish with their money. They don't know the fish or plants on sale in fish shops are diseased.

They are truly ignorant.
We can't change this, it's just human nature. Most people can't be bothered to pick up a book about how to look after an animal or plant.

If they did care, the shops would have to buck up their ideas or go out of business.

The issue I feel needs to addressed is how to inform the public. The obvious route is to get the media journalists on-board.

Until recently people didn't know about caged hens and their eggs and the difference in free range eggs. Now look at that market place.

Perhaps a similar news story needs to be raised about the state of fish shops?

Maybe some group like the OATA or PFK needs to invent an new 'trade health' logo which indicates that the fish and plants sold on these premises are not knowingly unhealthy.

Maybe insist that fish shops set up their stock in Walstad tanks?

--
Stuart Halliday
http://mytriops.com/