Date: Sat, 31 Jan 2009 15:47:07 -0500
From: "Mary Sweeney" <mrylln at verizon_net>
Subject: [APD] Rhododendron branches
To: <aquatic-plants at actwin_com>

Mary Sweeney posted on Jan 13, 2009 "Has anyone ever used rhododendron
branches in aquaria?"

I just found a member of my local plant club here in NJ that uses
Rhododendron in her tanks. I am waiting for further information from her
about how long she has had it in there, but I suspect it has been a while.
She says not to use softwoods like pine and fir or anything you can dent
with a fingernail. She really likes the look of Rhododendron in her tanks.

Jerry Smith
Bloomingdale, NJ

Thanks, Jerry!

This *is* exciting! As a follow-up to my question, I peeled a small branch
with a potato peeler and put it in a bowl with some snails and a sprig of
Java Moss.

Put it on the window sill.

The water turned a little green for a day.

Baby snails appeared.

The Java is creeping over to the branch---looks like they're going to "hook
up."<G>

I added in some fish eggs. They've hatched and the fry are doing well.

The branch isn't doing anything strange---yet.<G>

Yep, I think we're onto something here.

Local Jersey plant club?

Mary Sweeney
Monmouth Hills, NJ