Re: [APD] OT Illegal use of feeder guppies

On Thu, Jan 15, 2009 at 1:47 PM, Bill <billpers at comcast_net> wrote:
>> Huh?  The legality of using animals as test subjects is neither the same
>> nor similar to "regulating the kind of fish that can be housed in what
>> kind of aquarium".>
>
> Sure it is.   If using feeder fish to test the safety of certain woods in an
> aquarium is "cruelty to animals" then there must be a law or regulation that
> defines what woods can be used in an aquarium, or what substrates or kinds
> of water or . . . .

The critical word you use is 'test'. Animal testing has very strict
rules in Europe, and rightly so.

> Or perhaps if one buys a healthy fish and puts it into an aquarium and it
> dies, that is per se "cruelty to animals"?

No. If you then added another fish to the same water and knowingly caused
unnecessary suffering, then that could be cruel under UK law.

Careless cycling tanks with fish could easily be argued to be illegal
under UK law.

<SNIP>

Interesting, fish caught at sea are exempted from animal cruelty
legislation. Hooray for double standards :)

Ed

PS, My 1st post. It shouldn't have been off topic I know, but at
least I changed the subject :) Hello everyone.