Re: [APD] Rhododendron branches

Stuart

Beekeepers can't control where the bees fly except by relocating their hives away from an area. The inclusion of a small amount of Rhododendron nectar/pollen in a local beekeepers honey will not hurt. There are lots of Rhododendron in yards in my area as well as the woods and my honey tasted great. I am still alive (I think!!!). Same thing with Poison Ivy. I am allergic to it and yet my honey never hurt me or anyone that bought it.

To have a honey that is a variety like clover, buckwheat, blueberry, squash, orange blossom, tupelo, etc. requires the hives to be in a large area of the particular plant. Commercial beekeepers that specialize in pollination services would be able to collect specific honey varieties. Their hives are moved at night by truck to follow the bloom of commercial crops. The honey in these hives can easily be a specific variety and can be kept separately.

As far as the testing, I think toxicity testing is an excellent way to preserve human health and is a perfectly useful use of animals. Huge difference between us and them. Shoot away PETA!!!!! But this is not what is in mind with the use of Rhododendron in our tanks-we aren't testing Rhodo for human use. Maybe not such a good idea to let us know what you find out, if Mary decides to do it.

Jerry Smith
Bloomingdale, NJ > Message: 5> Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2009 16:03:29 +0000> From: Stuart Halliday <stuart at mytriops_com>> Subject: Re: [APD] Rhododendron branches> To: aquatic plants digest <aquatic-plants at actwin_com>> > Hmmm I wonder how the Bee Keepers stop the Bees bringing back Rhododendron > Pollen? Plenty of these plants around.> > > > I think the idea of testing the wood in a tank with feeder fish is an> > excellent idea. Let us know what you come up with.> > Some of us may not like testing on animals in that manner. Also it's > probably an illegal act in most of Europe. I know it is in the UK.> > -- > Stuart Halliday> http://mytriops.com/> 200 Million years in the making...