Re: [APD] Suggested tank cycling experiment

Raj wrote:
> My filter media has the same pleasant smell of the first drops of rain on the lawn.
> I also get the same smell when I lift floating Riccia or moss.

It does have an "earthy" smell. It reminds me of a rich potting soil. I
don't know how else to describe it. That's how freshwater fish tanks
have always smelled for me. The substrate, filter media, the water, they
all smell like that.

One time when I decommissioned a tank I neglected to clean out the
canister filter for a couple of weeks. When I opened that it was most
definitely not pleasant. Snails do not smell good post mortem.

--
Jerry Baker