[APD] Marineland / Tetra correction

I believe Stuart Halliday wrote this email section below:

> Safestart is Biospira. Tetra bought Marineland labs  lock, stock and
> barrel last year/2 years. :-)
> Only difference with One & Only is that it is suppose to last longer at
> room temperature. Something Biospira couldn't handle.
> I asked 'Dr. Tim' and he can't comment due to the legal contract due to
> the buy out.

oops slight mistake about Tetra.

Spectrum brands bought Marineland labs. It already owned Tetra.

Marineland will no doubt disappear in due course.

Here is the reply I got from Dr. Tim - 21 Apr 2008

The parent company he refers to is Spectrum Brands.
http://www.spectrumbrands.com/

"
Dear Mr. Halliday:

Thanks for your email.  I looked over your site - very nice.  However, there
are a few things that need correcting if you want to be 100% accurate.

First, as you guessed I am no longer associated with Marineland.  The parent
company of Marineland bought Tetra and merged the two companies.
They decided to shutdown the California Marineland facility, lay almost
everyone off, including myself and my lab staff and move everything to other
locations.
As such Tetra did not 're-license' BioSpira - the parent company owns
BioSpira and the associated patents and they moved the Bio-Spira production
to the Tetra facility in Melle Germany.

As you know Tetra launched SafeStart in Europe and the UK and this past
Global Pet Show introduced SafeStart in the US.  I do not know when it will
hit the shelfs but BioSpira is 'out' and SafeStart is 'in'.  Beyond that I
can't comment as I have not been associated with the companies and products
since Jan 2007.

As far as my One and Only is concerned - it is NOT basically the BioSpira
product.
The species are different and the way it is grown is different.
BioSpira is protected by patents that while in my name are owned by the
parent company of Tetra.
Thus, while I am no longer under a non-compete I cannot violate my own patents.
As I said, the bacteria and the technical aspects behind my One and Only
product are different and I believe better.
They do not need constant refrigeration and can last 6 months at room
temperature.

Thanks again for your email.  If you have other question I would be happy to
answer them but I can't answer questions that would violate my
non-disclosure with the parent of Marineland - I am sure you understand.
"

The above statement is what makes me think that Safestart isn't using
dormant bacteria. Dr. Tim is suppose to have invented it IIRC.

--
Stuart Halliday
http://mytriops.com/