Re: [APD] Cycling

Robert

It has been a long time since I have read Ecology of the Planted Aquarium, and my copy is not available to me right now for me to double check, but I seem to remember her saying the plants will take up the ammonia almost as soon as it is available and will take it up in preference to nitrate. I don't remember any part dealing with filters in planted tanks, but that doesn't mean she didn't cover them. If she did cover them, it just shows I don't remember very well.

Do you have a copy available for use to double check what she has said?

Jerry Smith
Bloomingdale, NJ> Message: 1> Date: Thu, 25 Dec 2008 14:37:56 -0500> From: "Robert T. Ricketts" <rtricketts at verizon_net>> Subject: Re: [APD] Cycling> To: "APD" <aquatic-plants at actwin_com>> > Several messages back, Stuart Halliday mentioned Diana Waldstad's theory> that bacterial bioflters out-compete plants for the first nitrification> bacterial energy source (ammonia) and are therefore somehow undesirable or> even detrimental on planted tanks. That theory has figured in some further> messages.> > IMHO, Ms Waldstad might do better to test more before publishing theories,> or at least noted that there was no confirming data. Science is about and> based on testing and evidence, hard data. There is a great deal of art and> design in planted tanks, but without the underlying facts being accurate,> the system does not work.