Re: [APD] Cycling

I believe Robert T. Ricketts wrote this email section below:
> Several messages back, Stuart Halliday mentioned Diana Waldstad's theory
> that bacterial bioflters out-compete plants for the first nitrification
> bacterial energy source (ammonia) and are therefore somehow undesirable or
> even detrimental on planted tanks.  That theory has figured in some further
> messages.

I may have mentioned Diana Walstad, but did I mention her theory?
I can't say I remember mentioning it. :-)

> It did not take rocket science or any advanced
> math to notice that the best 'spares" came from fish-only (FO) tanks.
> Spares from heavily planted tanks proved to be well-inoculated, but in no
> way "mature" in handling even half the bioload of the donor tank on which it
> had been operating.

Isn't that obvious? The plants will be sharing ammonia with the bacteria in
the filter. So there will be less bacteria in the filter.

I've noticed this myself when I have planted tanks with internal filters.

--
Stuart Halliday
http://mytriops.com/