Re: [APD] Cycling

I believe Raj wrote this email section below:
> Very interesting info.
>
> That brings me to a point from Diana Walstad book where she mentions
> that Bacteria and plants compete for the ammonium. The bacteria then
> deprives the plants. In a planted tank it may be best not having a filter?

Depends on bioload. If the plants can extract the ammonium. Why have a filter?

I did this with my 50L walstad tank. I had a few fish and the plants were te
filter. When I added a few more fish, I had to add a filter.

> When I clean out the first layers of my external filter of my planted tanks
> the pH rises. I am not sure if its from more ammonium or less CO2.

CO2 surely.

> Recently there was a case of a large Arrowana tank with an external filter
> which suddenly crashed and started to give off ammonia to the extent that
> the fish died, you could smell ammonia in the room. When the filter was
> opened there was strong ammonia smell. Another tank with an identical
> setup in the same house was fine. I am not sure what to make of it!

Just takes a clogged filter to cause the ammonia to rise.

Of course if the KH drops in a tank and the pH crashes, then that'll have
the same effect.

Personally I wish there were more or even one flow monitor devices on the
market.

A piece of vertical tubing with a tiny metal ball inside on the outlet flow
would detect zero flow as you could mount two metal needles below it. When
the resistance between the needles drops to zero, when the ball rests on the
needles, it trips an alarm.

--
Stuart Halliday
http://mytriops.com/