Re: [APD] Cycling

Very interesting info.

That brings me to a point from Diana Walstad book where she mentions
that Bacteria and plants compete for the ammonium. The bacteria then
deprives the plants. In a planted tank it may be best not having a filter?

When I clean out the first layers of my external filter of my planted tanks
the pH rises. I am not sure if its from more ammonium or less CO2.

Recently there was a case of a large Arrowana tank with an external filter
which suddenly crashed and started to give off ammonia to the extent that
the fish died, you could smell ammonia in the room. When the filter was
opened there was strong ammonia smell. Another tank with an identical
setup in the same house was fine. I am not sure what to make of it!

--
Raj, vu2zap
Bengaluru, South India.