Re: [APD] Coral Sun Lights

Wright Huntley wrote:
> In colorimetry it describes the APPEARANCE (i.e., color perception), and
> in no way describes the spectrum or a real temperature. It simply is
> supposed to say what the light looks like to a "standard observer."

The way I learned it, Kelvins always refers to a temperature. A
theoretical black body heated to 6000°K will emit a very specific
spectrum of light
(http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/bbrc.html). In colorimetry,
a color can be said to be 6000K if it matches the appearance of a that
black body. Therein lies the rub. We've switched from empirical
measurement to subjective perception. The human eye is totally incapable
of judging the spectral quality of light. We can't tell whether a light
is simply yellow, or has a broad spectrum of wavelengths that taken
altogether appear yellow. The problem for us in the hobby is we can't
tell what a Kelvin rating on a light bulb refers to for certain. Does
the manufacturer mean that this 6500K bulb nearly duplicates a 6500K
black body spectral emission curve (like Iwasaki 6500K MH bulbs), or do
they mean that the bulb only emits essentially one color that happens to
appear to our eyes the same color as a 6500K black body?

--
Jerry Baker