[APD] roots of aquatic plants

Hello,

I have a 20 gallon aquarium with some water that has a very high pH (about 9
- 10. Comes from tap water). I have been noticing none of plants develop
very good roots. I have seen Cryptocorne wenditi have a large root system
under the gravel in my 10 gallon tank (pH 7 at a different location). But
for some reason it just doesn't grow roots in my 20 gallon. Also, I have
water lettuce floating at the surface in both tanks. In the 10 gallon it
grows very long shoots but in my 20 gallon there is almost none.

Is the high pH inhibiting the development of a rooting system?

Thanks.

-Tom