Message: 5
Date: Mon, 08 Dec 2008 07:43:30 -0800
From: Jerry Baker <jerry at bakerweb_biz>
Subject: Re: [APD] pH control
To: aquatic plants digest <aquatic-plants at actwin_com>
I would be cautious using a strong alkaline solution.  Addition of too much
K to the system may cause nutrient balance issues, as addition of too much
Na will cause toxicity.  These solutions are also more likely to cause
corrosion of your system. I would choose a weaker base like calcium
carbonate (CaCO3, e.g. crushed limestone or chalk, crushed shells) or sodium
bicarbonate (NaHCO3), both of which can be found in the grocery store.

Cari

Raj wrote:
> Pump water through a chamber with some sea shell powder
> or other lightly soluble alkaline substance and switch the
> pump on/off with the pH controller.

Jerry wrote:
I would think the best way to go about this would be a dosing pump and a
strong alkaline solution of KOH or similar. Just use the pH controller
to turn the on the spigot for the alkaline solution. The only potential
problem I see is the corrosive nature of KOH or NaOH on the valve.