[APD] uptake of nutrients, day night cycles

Hello Folks:

We know something about the uptake of gases like CO2 and oxygen.
What I wanted to know about were things like nitrogen, potassium, phosphate, iron, manganese, etc..  I am guessing that some of these are taken up by the plants during specific parts of the day/night cycle and best utilized when taking up CO2 or oxygen.  Does anyone know where I can learn more about this?  Or, where I can read something that a nonchemist like me could understand sufficiently to use the information to my advantage.

Thanks, Diana