[APD] 3 Things

Hi all-

First of all, in regard to my comment about clear water in a white bucket-for
the newbies, there was a ferocious flame war about 7 or 8 years ago on the
subject-if you search the archives you might find it.

Second I asked for advice a couple of months ago on green water. Finances
prevented me from getting a UV clarifier as someone suggested, I do have a Diatom
Filter that I haven't used in about 20 years that I was going to try to fire
up again.

However, after about 6 months it cleared on its own. Amazingly all of my
plants and fish survived, a month ago I couldn't tell because the water was so
green. The tank is near an east window, and I wonder with the sun lower on the
horizon if the tank is getting more sunlight and thus more UV light and if that
did the trick? Anyway, I have no idea what brought it on or what cleared it up
but I sure am glad it's gone.

Third, I have 3 Tetra Second Nature WDF 3000s in 3 of my tanks. Some years
ago I was at That Fish Place and bought a case of replacement cartridges. I'm
down to my last box and so I was going to order more, I couldn't find them
anywhere at TFP, Big Al's, so I contacted Tetra. Seem they discontinued Second
Nature!

So, I need to replace these 3 filters, in 3 29 gallon tanks. Can anyone
recommend a replacement? I'm looking for a couple of traits in a replacement.

1). Not too hard of a return flow so as not to be too hard on the plants.

2). I don't want something with a filter cartridge, both because they are
expensive and because they usually have charcoal built in and I don't want to
lose my trace elements. A slip on pad such as the Tetra Whisper Bio Pads is kinda
what I had in mind (They're relatively cheap).

3). Something with a biological function, preferably with a sponge rather
than an expensive medium.

Anyway-any suggestions would not only be appreciated, they might also help
revive the list! :-)

Gerry Skau
Fate is like a strange, unpopular restaurant, filled with odd waiters who
bring you things you never asked for and don't always like.--- Lemony Snicket