Re: [APD] Pelvicachromis pulcher social behaviour

Raj said,

>        Having found you all on this list a decade ago from Eric's "the
> krib", I thought you might like to hear about some observations.
>
>        I have quite a few Kribensis in my densely planted community tank.
> They have been breeding and protecting their young ones for a long many
> years now.
>
>        This season an albino female (Mrs. Krib) had paired up with a
> colored male (Mr. Krib). They both produced a lot of colored and albino
> fry. I notice that one half of a heavily planted 4' tank completely vacant
> of other fish. Mr & Mrs. Krib defended it very well.
>
>        I have seen in the past certain pairs do a great job of caring for
> the fry, taking turns in protecting the fry and even while feeding. Some
> pairs don't seem to get along from the 2nd week and either the female or
> the male get chased away and a single parent takes over the care for the
> fry. The female single parenting is most common.
>
>        This morning I noticed that Mr. Krib was missing. Maybe hiding or
> jumped out or even caught by a crow or a kingfisher. In his place was a
> new male albino krib, sporting bright abdominal color was defending his
> new territory, wife and adopted fry.
>
>        I have observed breeding females adopt fry from other mothers. I
> have made use of this behavior to my advantage but this is the first time
> I have observed a female change partners and the new male looking after
> some one else's fry.
>
>        Kribs are amazing fish!

They reallly are!  I've seen the same behavior in community tanks, and I
learned not to put a male and a female together in one.   Males by
themselves were good community tank members, and females too, but a breeding
pair - and in my experience all kribs eventually breed - causes chaos in
that kind of tank.

I'd think they would be great fish to keep in a school aquarium. to teach
kids something about nature.  And the krib offspring could be given to them.

Females are more aggressive than males in choosing a mate.  They are
prettier, too, just like people.

And, to add a plant angle to this, I've found them to be great snail eaters.

Bill