Re: [APD] Damn snails

Stuart Halliday wrote:
> Add a snail trap remover?
> This works. But you need to remove it every day.
> http://www.theaquariumwiki.com/JBL_Snail_Trap_Review

Just for fun, I tried to make my own snail trap.

I found a square plastic vial from an old test kit and cleaned it out.

I made a trap door from a post-it tab that fit the entrance almost
perfectly. A little scissor work made it a perfect fit. The sticky side
of the tab went on the outside. The tab folded back towards the inside
into the vial thus completing the trap door. I added a long narrow fiber
glass rod using a rubber band and did some dry run tests. The trap door
opened with very little effort. So far so good.

I threw in some pellet food, dunked it into the water, and using the
rod, I strategically placed the weapon of destruction into a dense
population of MTS vermin at the bottom of my 60 gallon show tank.

I watched for a while as two unsuspecting victims slithered through the
trap door after what seemed like an eon of time. So far, so good.

I later went back to my cave to do some much needed paperwork.
About an hour later, I could hear my wife screaming.

I quickly ran back upstairs to find out what was wrong.

My wife was screaming about some fish in the trap.
I looked inside. Sure enough, the trap was filled with an angry
assortment of MTS, ram's horns, and two small zebra danios that couldn't
resist the bait. So far, so good.

A little more refinement, and I'll be ready to exterminate the little
buggers.

More updates to follow...

--
Harry Martin