I believe BRiaN Forsythe wrote this email section below:
> I wouldn't jump to the conclusion that carbon was leaching phosphorus
> into the water column, especially since green water is usually caused by
> an ammonia/nitrite spike.  Carbon use definitely wasn't a good idea, but
> i'd be more worried about it sucking the phosphate OUT of my water! ;)

I'd second that.

Seachem has an article on Activated carbon which mentions this problem
with phosphate.

http://www.seachem.com/Library/Articles/Carbon_Interview.pdf

But ammonia and other 'nutrients' are far more likely however.

Was it really only 5 years ago that everyone thought phosphate was the
great evil?

We still see phosphate removers advertised as the great hero of planted
tanks. :-)

--
Stuart Halliday
http://mytriops.com/