I wouldn't jump to the conclusion that carbon was leaching phosphorus
into the water column, especially since green water is usually caused by
an ammonia/nitrite spike.  Carbon use definitely wasn't a good idea, but
i'd be more worried about it sucking the phosphate OUT of my water! ;)

Check this out:
http://www.barrreport.com/general-plant-topics/4216-green-water-help.html#post24708