[APD] Plain text and out of the loop::: was: Re: Help on copper sulphate solution

Harry Martin wrote:
> On Wed Apr 23 10:09 , Stuart Halliday <stuart at mytriops_com> sent:
>
>>> µ (ALT + 0181)
>>>
>> Yes, but it's not plain text. It's a 8-bit ascii character. So can't be sent
>> by plain text email. Plain text email is 7 bits.
>>

> Shoot...I thought 7 bit ascii went extinct years ago, along with typwriters.
> I upgraded to 8 bit ascii just so I could get greek symbols.
>
> :-)

Indeed.  7bit ASCII went extinct about the same time you stopped having
to put your telephone handset in a cradle to connect to a network.  8bit
ASCII is, in fact, plain text.  And while I don't think it's facing
extinction anytime soon, UNICODE is certainly on its way to becoming the
de facto standard for plain text.

Interestingly, there's a philosophical argument on Wikipedia that says
that HTML (and other markup languages) is also plain text:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plain_text

And, to stay on topic, I was wondering if anyone here belonged to the
Dallas/Fort Worth Aquatic Plant Club?  It's been a few years since I've
had a tank set up, so I'm really out of the loop on everything that has
happened in the hobby, right when the hobby exploded in popularity!
Aquatic plants are everywhere now!  My two main sources of info from way
back when were this list and rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants and both have
seen immense declines in use since I last read them.  I've found a
couple of very active web forums, though I wonder where the big names
from way back when went: Liisa Sarakontu, Karen Randall, George Booth,
James Purchase, Dave Gomberg, and those are just the ones I remember off
the top of my head...  Is there a particular web forum that everyone
from here went to?

-Dave Engle
<http://www.hut.fi/%7Elsarakon/>