Re: [APD] question about general hardness and water quality statistics

> Ten years ago there was a really good discussion of water hardness and
> alkalinity on this list.   I don't know if any of those people are
> still around.   Don't expect their e-mail addresses from ten years ago
> likely work.    I need some clarification.
>
> According to my tests of water fresh from teh tap, using API's test
> kits, my GH is 143 ppm, and my KH is 5 dKH or 89.5 ppm.   Nearby
> aquarium stores tell me their KH is 6 and 10.
>
> I understand that total alkalinity in the city's water quality reports
> is measured the same way as KH in the aquarium test kits and
> effectively is the same thing for all practical purposes.
>
> Total alkalinity from teh water quality reports is 70 ppm.   This
> works out to 4 dKH.   (German degrees)
>
> Totally unclear is what figure on the water quality reports should be
> the 'general hardness" or how to calculate it from what is there.
>
> Here are relevant statistics.
>
> Calcium 13.1 ppm
> Magnesium 15.6 ppm
> Hardness as Ca/Mg 105 ppm
> Total Hardness as CaCO3 70 ppm
> Total Dissolved Solids   175 ppm
>
> I THINK that the "Total Hardness as CaCO3 is the general hardness, but
> it sure ain't 143 ppm.   And the range on that is only 87 - 113 ppm.

Dora, water hardness can be calculated from the Ca and Mg concentrations
(Ca ppm x 2.497) + (Mg ppm x 4.118), which in this case is calculated to
be 97 ppm. Maybe they did a titration test and got the 105 ppm value. It
can be determined either way. It's hard to say. Alkalinity is reported
as ppm of CaCO3. I think in this case, total hardness is really the
alkalinity, where hardness is the GH.

Jamie <"///><

The information contained in this message is confidential and is intended
only for the use of the individual or firm of record.  If you are not the intended
recipient and have received this message in error, you are asked not to copy
or distribute any of the pages that follow.  Please notify the sender immediately
by telephone or email if you have received this communication in error and destroy
the contents that do not pertain to your business with The GEL Group, INC.