Re: [APD] alternanthera troubles

Alternanthera reineckii is really the only Alternanthera specie suitable for
the aquarium: suitable for submersed growth. Every other specie is really a
terrestrial/bog type of plant and just will not grow well under water. A.
sessilis is the most common example of this which is often sold as an
aquatic  plant. There are several variations of reineckii and lilacina is
one of them. Lilacina is one of the more difficult to grow A. reineckii
species. It needs very bright  light and  grows extremely slowly. If you are
nutrient difficient, the purple color is very  pale. High C02 levels make a
difference with this plant.  You can read Tropica plants description  of it
here:
http://www.tropica.dk/productcard_1.asp?id=023B
A reineckii var cardinalis or rosaefolia on the other hand is much easier to
grow. I grow this plant under moderate light and sometimes without any C02
added. I have found it  to be very dependent on nitrogen levels more than
anything else.

Best regards

Robert Paul Hudson
www.aquabotanic.com