[APD] Methods on softening water

I believe Robert Armas wrote this email section below:
> Are the Seachem products for plants nutrients any good. I always believed
> that Seachem was a reputable company with good products.

You can't go wrong with SeaChem.
:-)

> Sorry newbie questions, does any one knows of a way to reduce the hardness
> of the water, beside the peat moss method?

You can take your tap water and let it flow through a resin-based ion
exchange cylinder. It basically absorbs the hardness. Once the resin has
absorbed all it can you go out and buy a new cartridge.
More details: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ion_exchange_resin

A Reverse Osmosis (RO) device is another alternative, but may be a little
overkill as it removes 99% of all chemicals dissolved in the tap water.
http://www.theaquariumwiki.com/Reverse_Osmosis

--
Stuart Halliday
http://mytriops.com/