Re: [APD] Tanganyikan Planted Tanks

The glute is great stuff.  I don't want to do CO2 in my Tanganyikan
tank because of the pH effects.  Unfortunately, I can't compare to
Excel because I've never used it.  Our plant club (SWOAPE) gets
gallons of glute from a local medical supplier.  Around $18 for a
gallon IIRC, which is a 2.5% solution.  Can even be procured cheaper
online (for electron microscopy) and diluted but you've got to pay a
hazardous materials fee, so obviously want to buy in quantity.  Much
more economical than Excel.  I dose the 2.5% solution at about 1ml per
day per 5 gallons which seems to be on the cautious side from what
other folks I know are dosing.  There's a big thread on our APC forum
here: http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/forumapc/south-western-ohio-aquatic-plant-enthusiasts/31615-glutaraldehyde-instead-excel.html

I don't use pumice to avoid hardening the water, but because of the
weight -- even using pumice, I've got over 200# of rock in the 90.
It's also pretty porous, lots of area for bacterial colonization.

As for water additives, I use good old baking soda for KH.  Our
water's got plenty of Mg, but when it hasn't in the past, I always
used epsom salts.  Also, I used KCl for K+, but don't need to now
since I'm (sorta) dosing EI, I don't think I really need the extra K+,
kinda on the fence.  Always thought the cichlid salt mixes were a bit
of a scam (not that they dont' work, but they're probably epsom salts,
baking soda, and the like).  I have homebrew KNO3 and KH2PO4 solutions
that I dose a few times a week and Flourish and Flourish Fe (the
crypts sure love Fe), which will probably be replaced by a dry micro
mix once they run out.

The buescheri may work (though you may want more rock), but the
'kipil' are a safe bet.  I used to keep them.  Gorgeous fish, too --
Konings has said he thinks they're either some of or the most
beautiful fish in the lake.