Thanks to all for the responses to my inquiry about the use of wood bark in
the aquarium. This reference is very good reading!
http://www.theaquariumwiki.com/Bogwood.

The company that offers the wood bark is
http://myworld.ebay.com/aquaticmagic/

I ordered a piece to get a look at it, and it's very lightweight with deep
crevices. It's well dried. It resides in a plastic shoebox with mosses
mosses tied to it. The snails I've put in with it are fine. Next, a small
fish; then, if all's well, into the tank.

You're right, Stuart, about the moral judgment involved, which is what led
to the question. It looks like it came from a large, old tree. (Well, it is
kinda gray.<G> I wouldn't recognize a tree by it's bark.) I have myself
half-convinced that it is a legit by-product of logging. If it were a
'waste-not, want-not' kind of thing where they were selling bark from trees
felled for other purposes, it could just be good business (and it does fetch
a fair price.) In that case, I don't think it would be a problem. Aaargh,
until I know the origin for sure, I guess I should steer clear of stuff. It
sure would make a sensational aquarium accessory, though.

Best fishes,
Mary Sweeney