Re: [APD] Contents of Aquatic-Plants Digest, Vol 54, Issue 23

I must say, you do have strong opinions about thing. Let's take a look
at what it is you believe and what the facts actually are.

First you say:"I hate to be blunt with you, but the question wasn't
about whether fluoride is safe for humans The consensus is already
clear, that no - it is not."

To this I respond, you are wrong.That would be like saying air is bad
for your fish. While it is true our fish can't live in a box with no
water, it is also true fish can't live in water without air. It is about
the levels we need to look at here and not the scary words.

Second you say, "Naturally occurring calcium fluoride is fine, at safe
levels, and some countries with too much calcium fluoride in their
underground water veins take steps to filter it out"

To this I respond, you are almost right. The countries you are referring
to are actually filtering out that which dissolved the calcium fluoride
into the water to start with and as a by product of that filtering
process, the calcium fluoride is also removed. It is also funny, even in
the banned countries, if we give them the fluoride and they don't have
to pay for it, then they decide to add it.

Third you say, "Fluoride Hexasilicate, the stuff Alcoa used to throw
away before they realized they could make money by poisoning people, is
undebateably toxic, and contains lots of lead and arsenic." (The word
you were looking for here was undebatable as undebateably is not a real
word)

To this I respond, you are almost right again. While I will agree
fluoride hexasilicate is toxic, so is water in high enough doses. So are
most medicines given to extend our lives or to make us well. Once again,
it is about levels. I really would have thought someone who keeps an
aquarium would understands balancing levels better than the average person.

Fourth you say, "By the way, the American Pediatric Association as
warned against using fluoridated tap water to prepare baby formula with
since the blood-brain barrier is not fully developed in the infant."

To this I respond, A very good attempt at giving only part of the truth.
The whole truth to that memo says the American Pediatric Association
issued a warning against using fluoridated tap water to prepare baby
formula with since the blood-brain barrier is not fully developed in the
infant.They also stressed the importance of drinking fluoridated water.
If you live in a non fluoridated area, your child's doctor or dentist
may prescribe fluoride drops, tablets, or vitamins after your baby is 6
months old. The American Academy of Pediatrics recommends that these
fluoride supplements be given daily to children between the ages of 6
months and 16 years. I guess that part of the memo didn't help you so
you just left it out.

Fifth you said, "Anyways, this is not the venue for debate, I was just
wondering what you people in the aquaria world though about it, and
needless to say, the bunch of you are misinformed.

To this I respond, as you trend would seem to indicate, you are wrong.
The internet is a wonderful venue for debate. And as for being
misinformed, you do not know the people on this list. Most will not
recognize my name because I usually have nothing to add beyond what
others know and share so easily. Some advocacy groups publish reports on
the hazards of fluoridation, and they point to toxicity warnings on
toothpaste, concluding that any substance needing such careful dosage
must be dangerous. Remember, it's about the levels. In response to
claims that water fluoridation is dangerous, the National Institutes of
Health (NIH) reviewed research on dental cavities prevention and public
policy, including fluoridation. It agreed with anti fluoride activists
that many studies in this area are of poor quality. However, the NIH
panel also concluded that the unevenness of research does not invalidate
the clear benefits of fluoride. The NIH believes that the dramatic
reductions in tooth decay in the past 30 years are due to fluoridation
of the water supply, and parents and health professionals should
continue to ensure that kids receive enough fluoride to prevent
cavities. I can hear you thinking now, "If some fluoride is good, why
not give children as much fluoride as possible?" I guess to that I would
say, let's look at your planted aquarium for a moment. If a little iron
is good for your plants, then more is better right? As with most
minerals and vitamins, overexposure can be harmful. Most children get
the right amount of fluoride through a combination of fluoridated
toothpaste and fluoridated water or supplements. Too much fluoride
before 8 years of age can cause enamel fluorosis, a discoloration or
mottling of the permanent teeth. This condition is unsightly but
harmless and often can be treated with cosmetic procedures. Most cases
of fluorosis occur in children who take unnecessary daily fluoride
supplements even though they brush regularly with fluoridated toothpaste
and their home's tap water contains good levels of fluoride. Misuse of
fluoride products, including rinses and toothpaste, also can contribute
to fluorosis, but this is less common. Very rarely, fluoride toxicity
can occur when large amounts of fluoride are ingested during a short
period of time. Children under age 6 account for more than 80% of
reports of suspected over ingestion. Although outcomes are generally not
serious, fluoride toxicity sends several hundred children to emergency
rooms each year.Symptoms of fluoride toxicity may include nausea,
diarrhea, vomiting, abdominal pain, increased salivation, or increased
thirst. Symptoms begin 30 minutes after ingestion and can last up to 24
hours. Annual deaths due to fluoride overdoses are less than 1 per year.
I can give sources, dates and studies to show everything I have said is
solely based on the facts and are true. My profession, that would be
retired. My credential's: Director of a Genetics lab at the National
Institutes of Health and retired professor from Duke University. I am
always learning more about plants and how to keep them alive here. So,
please feel free to respond to anything I have said, I will be happy to
answer. Understand, it will only be based on facts, not emotions.

I hope this helps, but probably not,

Dr. James Watford